Schools budgeting – how to get the best VfM
In the age of austerity, getting the best value for money (VfM) has never been so important.
What are the best ways to get VfM for your school?
We have spoken to enough schools to learn a thing or two about managing a budget. Here’s what our customers tell us about how they are getting the best VfM for their school.
- Benchmark costs – the DfE encourages schools to benchmark, their financial benchmarking website is a great place to start.
- Quality, not Quantity – from the experience of teaching staff, to the whiteboards in the classrooms, sometimes VfM can come from the added value of spending a little more.
- Don’t just tick a box – there is some expenditure that cannot be cut but that doesn't mean you cannot make savings. Don’t be resigned to it. A little imaginative thinking will always win in the end.
- Plan, plan and plan – communicate with staff and parents to ensure there are no nasty (or pleasant!) surprises around the corner.
- Record waste – what did you pay for that wasn’t used? Why? Don’t make the same mistake a second time around.
- Communicate – school staff, volunteers, parents and governors are the ears and eyes of any school or setting. They will know, and will always be willing to feedback, on how savings can be made, and where money is being spent unnecessarily.
- Who you know – your students come from a diverse range of backgrounds, their parents and guardians will be trained in a plethora of different skills. How can you harness that knowledge?
- Be holistic – see the schools budget as a whole. Where can expenditure in one area cover a need in another? Remember the motto: Two birds with one stone!
- Make use of free content – the web is full of a range of resources that will help with lesson planning, staff training, activities, even classroom equipment! There is a reason why teachers love freecycle!
- Harness volunteers – as parkrun has shown us. Grass-roots volunteer driven activities empower people and communities. Local businesses may want to get involved as part of the Corporate Social Responsibility. Don’t be afraid to ask.
- Collaborate – your neighbouring schools are all in the same position as you. If you are not in the enviable position of being part of a group of schools you can still enjoy the benefits of buying in bulk if you work together
EduCare is the UK’s leading provider of Safeguarding and Duty of Care training.
Based on our customer feedback surveys, 97% of our customers would recommend us
Why? Because we deliver great quality and a fantastic service.
8 ways we provide fantastic VfM
- Our online Safeguarding and Duty of Care courses can be taken anytime or anywhere. No wasteful spend on staff cover or transportation.
- EduCare for Education, our bestselling comprehensive safeguarding service covers over 30 essential topics and continues to grow and cover additional content. With courses such as Child Protection, Safer Recruitment, Prevent Duty and FGM Awareness as well as Equality and Diversity, GDPR and Health and Safety, you will be able to evidence compliance to inspectors and ensure all staff receive a complete and thorough induction. Remember the motto: Two birds with one stone!
- Unlimited access to our service means all new starters, support staff, volunteers and governors can access essential training to help keep children safe. If a staff member moves, their replacement can be trained at no additional cost. Your investment in training will never be wasted.
- Our level 2 courses are written and endorsed by leading experts. Course content includes valuable resources such as lesson plans. You can be assured of superior quality and exceptional added value.
- We offer multi-buy discounts across our full product range. Members of associations such as IAPS, COBIS and CIMPSA are also entitled to generous discounts.
- Our content is continually refreshed. You won’t have to invest in new training if legislation changes.
- Time is money. Our easy-to-use reporting suite will help save you time keeping on track of staff learning and will ensure you always have evidence to hand for inspectors
- Our FREE certificates are personalised to the learner and demonstrate course completion and achievement.
We are confident we deliver fantastic VfM and will ensure you remain consistent and compliant in all legal and moral areas of Duty of Care and Safeguarding.
Learn for less than the price of a cup of coffeeEduCare for Education offers fantastic value for money. Because it offers unlimited access, the annual subscription price is based on pupil roll numbers and not per-learner. This unique pricing model means that you should never have to pay more than £2 per-learner, per-course. And definitely less than a Flat White!
Challenge us today and see how much you can save! Call us on 01926 436 212, use our chat facility or use the form below.