This three-module interactive course is for anyone who works with children and young people in education settings up to the age of 25.
The purpose of the course is to raise your awareness of neglect and aid understanding the factors that may contribute to it. You will develop understanding of the different forms of neglect and how it can impact children and young people. The course uses the Assessment Framework to identify essential developmental needs and the dimensions of which these are potentially impacted.
Module 1 Understanding neglect
- Introduction to the basic forms of neglect and examples of circumstances parents whose children are neglected may be experiencing.
- The prevalence of neglect in comparison to other types of maltreatment in the UK.
- The Assessment Framework to identify a child’s essential developmental needs, and what dimensions these cover.
- Children’s key developmental milestones.
- Identifying neglect in older children.
- Scenarios to illustrate that what you see is not always the truth.
- The impacts of what harm neglect can do; how it can affect and damage children in key developmental areas such as social, physical and emotional development.
Module 2 Why are children and young people neglected?
- The key components of effective parenting using the Assessment Framework model.
- Examples of factors that can make parenting neglectful, either intentionally or by omission.
- Examining practices which harm children and young people with disabilities.
- Information regarding children and young people who are especially vulnerable; such as young carers, and looked-after children and young people.
- Other risk factors; based on research focusing on mothers and fathers.
- Resilience and protective factors that can mitigate against risks that children and young people face.
- Scenario to consider how a child could be effected in a particular situation.
Module 3 Recognising and reporting child neglect
- The signs and indicators that should alert you to the possibility a child or young person is being neglected at different age-specific developmental milestones. Understanding what possible signs and indicators to look for in infants and toddlers, young children of school age, and adolescences.
- Parental neglect during adolescence and its possible consequences.
- Examining barriers to reporting and recognising neglect.
- Offering support; identifying when it is appropriate to talk to parents and how to start or encourage young people to have honest conversations.
- Best practises for reporting neglect; information regarding organisations that can be contacted and universal principles that should be recorded within your own organisation.
Child Neglect, what are my buying options?
Buy as a standalone course
This course costs £27.00
Buy as part of a training package
This course is included as part of EduCare for Education®, our bestselling training course package which combines a wide range of courses such as Child Protection, Online Safety and The Prevent Duty into one cost-effective bundle.
Our content experts ensure your courses are kept up-to-date. We constantly monitor changes to statutory guidance, legislation and inspection requirements, as soon as changes are confirmed, we update your course content at the earliest opportunity.
EduCare’s online learning management system is incredibly easy to use with training courses that can be accessed at any time and from any computer with internet access.
With EduCare you can:
- Fulfil your legal duty of care in the key areas the law and inspection requires
- Provide robust evidence of staff training
- Access powerful management reports so you know who has completed the training
- Allow ALL staff to complete
essentialduty of care training
- Access additional resources to extend subject knowledge
- Keep up-to-date with legislation changes
- Download personalised certificates
- Train anytime, anywhere - 24/7
- Provide training certified for CPD
Key features and benefits
Price £27.00 excl. VAT
Max. Duration 3 hours
Target Audience All
- Multi-User Discounts are available. If you need to buy for 10+ learners, please contact our team for a tailored pricing package.
- Written for people who have already undergone basic child protection training
- The Child Neglect course is enhanced with a narration feature for accessibility purposes
- Features audio clips of children's experiences
- Available online
- Delivers 3 CPD credits
- 70% pass mark
- Certificate upon completion provides evidence of learning
- Course id: 1
Accredited / endorsed by