Safer Recruitment in Education
This course on safer recruitment looks at what you need to do to safeguard children and young people from unsuitable people who might apply to join your organisation.
When a vacancy arises in your organisation, you naturally want to ensure you employ the very best person for the post and this course will certainly help you to achieve this. However, the primary purpose of the course is to ensure that whilst making recruitment decisions, the children, young people and any adults at risk in your setting are safeguarded from harm.
This course is important for anyone that works in recruitment to embed safeguarding throughout every stage of the process.
This four module course delivers four CPD hours and comprehensively covers:
- the four key stages of the recruitment process
- pre-recruitment planning and what must be in place before you advertise your post
- rejecting candidates and meeting the right ones
- obtaining the correct checks and references, including what's required from a DBS check
- post-recruitment activities, including observation and supervision.
What are my buying options?
Buying for yourself?
EduCare’s online learning management system is incredibly easy to use with training courses that can be accessed at any time and from any computer with internet access. When you purchase the online version of the course, you will receive:
- A welcome email containing your login details which gives you immediate access to your online course
- Four simple and concise learning modules containing the essential information on the subject
- Four accompanying multiple-choice questionnaires designed to test your knowledge and understanding
- A downloadable personalised and dated certificate on successful completion of the questionnaires
- A downloadable full set of answer explanations when you achieve the course pass mark enable you to see the correct answer for any questions you may have answered incorrectly
- Easy access to reports on your progress
- Clear and simple course instructions and a User Guide, with additional help available via telephone from our Client Services team
Buying for your organisation?
As part of an EduCare Licence
This course can be included alongside other courses as part of an EduCare licence. A licence contains a range of courses relevant to you, and offers a flexible and cost-effective way to deliver training to every member of your organisation. Choose from our sector-specific licence options or build a licence by selecting your own courses from our extensive range.
- EduCare for Education
- EduCare for Sport
- Contact us to build your own
Your training the way you want it
Need a tailored version of this course? EduCare offers bespoke learning solutions to suit your organisation. With EduCare you can:
- Use your own welcome message and logo
- Personalise system emails
- Upload your own policies, documents and learning resources
- Include additional learning content that covers your specific policies and procedures
- Create an entire course tailored to your exact requirements
This module will cover what you need to have in place before you have any contact with potential candidates, including promoting your commitment to safeguarding widely on all aspects of your organisation’s communication. This module also looks at preparing the job description, job specification, application form and information pack. Finally this module covers advertising the job opening.
2. Pre-interview Planning and Interviews
This module covers scrutinising applications consistently, how to shortlist candidates and prepare for interview, including asking candidates to verify that they are who they say they are and are eligible to work in the UK. Different selection techniques and areas that may give rise for concern and the importance of not making someone an offer because they were the best of the people you interviewed is also covered in this module.
3. Pre-employment Checks
This module focuses on pre-employment checks and specifically the vetting checks provided by the DBS or other bodies registered with the DBS. This module also covers what you need to do if you are considering employing an overseas applicant and placing importance on wherever people come from, vetting checks alone do not constitute a safer recruitment process.
3. Observation and Supervision
This module covers the post-recruitment final fourth step in the safer recruitment process (observe and supervise). It also looks at the measures your organisation can take to ensure that all new recruits are observed and supervised during their induction period and beyond, and all staff understand the importance of remaining vigilant to protect the and promote the welfare of children and young people or vulnerable adults.
Test & Certificate
The Safer Recruitment course concludes with four multiple choice questionnaires with a printable certificate. As well as printable user certificates, your training progress and results are stored on your learning management platform.
Key features and benefits
Duration 4 hours
- Covers the recruitment process for anyone who works with children and young people
- Available online
- This course is level 2 (as graded against the nationally accepted levels for training courses)
- Accredited by Secured by Design and meets national Police approved standards
- Delivers 4 CPD hours
- 70% pass mark
- Certificate upon completion provides evidence of learning
Accredited / endorsed by
Partners / major users