This training introduces the fundamentals of the Mental Capacity Act (MCA) and the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS), and covers the measure put in place to protect those in hospitals or care homes from being inappropriately deprived of their liberty.
This training, fully endorsed by West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust, provides a basic awareness of the Mental Capacity Act and covers the measures put in place to protect those in hospitals, care homes or other healthcare organisations from being inappropriately deprived of their liberty. This course introduces the fundamentals of the Mental Capacity Act (MCA) 2005 (which came into full force in 2007) and the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS), and covers the purpose of the MCA, to whom it applies and its five core principles.
This one module course delivers one CPD hour and comprehensively covers:
- the meaning of ‘Mental Capacity’ and how it applies in practice
- the five core principles of the Act
- your own responsibilities with regards to the Act
- the roles of Independent Mental Capacity Advocates and the Court of Protection
- the purpose of the DoLS and suitable restraint
- the assessment process and action to take where concerns exist that someone is being deprived of their liberty.
What are my buying options?
Buy as a standalone course
This course costs £9.50 and you can buy online today.
Buy as part of a training package
This course is included in our comprehensive online learning service that includes essential training for health and social care staff.
Training the way you want it
Can’t find what you need? You can either pick the courses you need from our extensive range and create your own package, or ask us to create bespoke content just for you.
Our content experts ensure your courses are kept up-to-date. We constantly monitor changes to statutory guidance, legislation and inspection requirements, as soon as changes are confirmed, we update your course content at the earliest opportunity.
EduCare’s online learning management system is incredibly easy to use with training courses that can be accessed at any time and from any computer with internet access.
With EduCare you can:
- Fulfil your legal duty of care in the key areas the law and inspection requires
- Provide robust evidence of staff training
- Access powerful management reports so you know who has completed the training
- Allow ALL staff to complete essential duty of care training
- Access additional resources to extend subject knowledge
- Keep up-to-date with legislation changes
- Download personalised certificates
- Train anytime, anywhere - 24/7
- Provide training certified for CPD
Key features and benefits
Duration 1 hour
Target Audience Health
- Multi-User Discounts are available. If you need to buy for 10+ learners, please contact our team for a tailored pricing package.
- Helps provide a basic awareness of the Mental Capacity Act, as well as the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards.
- Available online only
- This course is level 2 (as graded against the nationally accepted levels for training courses)
- Delivers 1 CPD hour
- 70% pass mark
- Certificate fully endorsed by West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
Accredited / endorsed by